f 7inchSlam.com: Coming Out of the Closet

1.29.2007

Coming Out of the Closet

This is a punk rock record blog, and we punks are mostly all the same. We're all straight, white males. We drink Pabst Blue Ribbon and eat Ramen noodles. We get tattoos of the Black Flag logo. Boys wear tight pants and girls wear trampy skirts. For all of our Aus Rotten records and talk of "scene unity," we really aren't that diverse of a group of people. So, in an effort to make the punk rock community a little more diverse, I'm going to come out of the closet.

I like quiche.

When I told my mother recently that I like quiche, she really wasn't surprised. I think she always knew that I was different from other boys. When I mentioned quiche to veteran Pittsburgh rocker Rob Henry, he was very supportive of me. Maybe he likes quiche too?

Lots of people have done a little "experimenting". Maybe it was back in college, after a couple of beers, with a roomate who always seemed a little different. For me, it was when I had the afternoon off one day last week. I was all out of KY Jelly, so I used eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, frozen broccoli, milk, butter, flour, salt, pepper, and a premade pie shell. The recipe can be found here.

I beat a couple eggs, added milk and butter, then flour, salt, pepper, and cheese. Mix them together then set them aside. Bake your pie crust for about ten minutes, and defrost your frozen broccoli. Toss about 1/4th of the cheese into the bottom of your pie shell, then add your chopped broccoli. Distribute the broccoli evenly, then pour your egg and cheese mixture on top of that. Lube it up then slide it into a 375 degree oven for about a half an hour.

I threw on some Gilmore Girls DVDs and by the time Rory, Lorelai, and Luke had fast-talked their way around the Dragonfly Inn my quiche was lookin' good. I saw golden brown cheese on the top, flaky crust on the bottom, with eggs and broccoli in between. This quiche was damn good, no matter what Rick Santorum might say about it. It was great right out of the oven, and there were plenty of leftovers for the roomates.

When you talk about eggs, cheese, and broccoli in one dish, I listen. And when you talk about a record that Greg Oblivian produced, I listen really hard. Around here we've been slamming quiche and playing the hell out of Cemetary Trails by Milwaukee's The Goodnight Loving. This is the Swiss Army Knife of 2006 punk records. You can play this with your friends, with a lady, on the bus, drinking alone, or whenever you just need to hear fun music and feel good. These five midwestern guys are a little bit country, a little bit rock n roll, all done up right for the punks. As the snow started to fall, and you thought you had your "Best of 2006" list set in stone, these guys came as a breath of fresh air. If you're a fan of the Reigning Sound, rock n roll music, or making out with girls, you should probably check these guys out on Dusty Medical.

- Posted by John.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Baby Pop said...

Where I am from (Kentucky), we call that there an egg pah!

3:09 PM  
Blogger bryan said...

Try Sic Alps, and our homegrown Violent Students. Either makes for fine indoor barbecue listening. Keep a pail handy.

I gotta say, resist any quiche misgivings! It is manly, sensuous, loinsome stuff. You're very much on the right track. My Ma makes a Quiche Lorraine every X-mas morning and I swear a bloodrare Porterhouse and a six of Beamish would quiver at its Alsatian feet. A hale tarte it is, year by year!

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Sean Mac said...

I had a birthday quiche when I turned thirty. Does that make me a punk?

4:26 PM  
Blogger Steve-O said...

No. You are a cop.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Dave said...

I will stand in Quiche Solidarity with you.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home